Skip to main content

The View

It was late, and I was in the middle of my preparing for bed routine and jabbering away as is common at those times.  This particular night, I was excited because I was really encouraged in my relationship with one of the girls.  I remember saying, "I feel like I am finally getting somewhere, like we are really building trust, I am really excited!"  I was excited.  I can't even remember all that had gone on that day, but I know I had felt like breakthroughs had happened and I'd moved one step further to building the kind of trust with our oldest girl that is needed to make any valuable progress. 

Michael told me later he'd been looking for some wood the whole time to knock on as I spoke.  Because pride cometh before a fall.  Because though there is nothing wrong with getting excited about good things and staying positive in all of our relationships, somehow my focus had turned to "me" and "her" instead of what God was doing despite me. 

Anyway, by the end of the week, of course we hit a brick wall with her and she rebelled.  Of course she pierced my heart with daggers.  Of course she shrunk away from all the progress and growth we had seen.  And of course I became discouraged. 

Until I realized that even these happenings can be a part of God's plan and a part of what He ultimately is doing in her life.  My job is to just keep pouring in...just keep loving...just keep pushing toward what is best.  No matter what.  And it is easy to think in the middle of the pain that ALL progress is lost, that ALL trust is relinquished, that we truly are back at square one.  But that is what I am learning.  You don't lose what you've built into the foundaiton every time.  Sure, you may lose some bricks along the way...they may tumble and crumble, but the foundation the Lord has laid will still remain.  And it is strong.

And it was this thing about pride that I learned.  I was blindsided that it had even crept in, because I certainly wasn't thinking we were rocking the show, that we had this all down, or anything even close.  I am daily humbled and reminded of my complete inadequacy to do anything that makes a difference here on my own.  But I had made something more about me than about Him and that is like a dinner invitation for pride.  I made my relationship with this particular girl about what I was investing and the results that I saw instead of what God was doing in the overall big picture.  Pride, it is an unpredictable, disgusting little thing.  And it surely makes life more difficult when you build a tower with it that crumbles in an instant. 

I am thankful for a God who has GRACE enough to cover me. 

This truth settled my heart this week amidst another great storm.  When one of our long-term, more stable girls, in her anger and frustration, turned on me and sent what had been an entirely great week downhill, I was broken.  I ended our shift with a heart full of ache, anxiety, and concern.  I found myself at one point, in dire need of the ability to truly escape and rest and "break," begging the Lord for the Scripture that I needed to encourage me and settle my soul.  And I was surprised at His response.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:1-2)

How many times have I read, memorized, quoted, taught on, repeated this verse?  I think it is a verse that had "become silent" almost to me because of its familiarity.  But yesterday, it hit me.  What should I do?  What can I do?  How can I keep going?  I am offering myself.  I am laying myself aside.  As my act of worship.  Not just my body - my LIFE - is what I give to God.  So when I ask myself why I am putting myself in situations that are only going to cause more pain or stress, these are words to remember.  But why?  I still wanted to asky why, and it was a beautiful answer.  IN VIEW OF GOD'S MERCY.  This is really what hit me and maybe for the first time.  Because I am only here because of what He gave for me - His WHOLE self - in His complete mercy on my unworthy self.  And I need to let this change me (do not be conformed to the way the world thinks - avoiding difficulty, discomfort, pain, hardship) and I need to allow the Lord to make me more like Himself (transform me) through EVERY thing.  And I am so thankful that He can, because on the hardest day, this vantage point, this "view," gives me purpose.  This gives me LIFE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl