Skip to main content

Familiar Bubbles

I suppose we all look for comfort and familiarity...even outside our comfort zone or the Land of the Familiar.  No matter how many times we "pop" our comfort zone bubble, it will only be a matter of time before it needs to be popped once again.


Michael and I still refer to ourselves as the new houseparents at Barton; we still say (and feel) very new to Arkansas.  In the grand scheme of things, this is not yet the Land of the Familiar for us and I didn't even think I had a comfort zone here yet.  Until I realized that I do.  Even amidst the ongoing transition and the fact that we are still newbies, I realized just today that I have already created a comfort zone.  Just recently, our house was stripped down of half of our long-term girls and all of our short-term placements (by no related events, just coincidental timing).  This involved sad good-byes and a tiny bit of stress as we transitioned those girls out and begin to wonder who we would be welcoming in.  It was when we welcomed a new one in that I realized I wanted to cling to a comfort zone I didn't know existed.  You see, even though, the long term girls we have remaining still present plenty for us to work through, address, and love on everyday, I am now familiar with them and feel comfortable working with them - despite the fact that the unexpected is still bound to happen quite regularly.  Well, our new arrival.  In addition to her suitcase and backpack, she carried back in all the unfamiliarity, awkwardness, and other elements that when thrown together can cause me anxiety if I am not careful.  And I found myself this morning before church excited to go back on shift tonight with the girls...until my heart started beating fast.  Because I realized I wasn't going back to the Land of the Familiar tonight.  The Land had changed.  With each arrival, it changes.  I knew that, too.  But what I did not know was how accustomed I had become in such a short time to the "way things are," which if I am not careful will reduce my openness to the "way things could be."  Each new arrival comes with new opportunity, new challenges, new transitions, and yes, sometimes a few steps backwards before a few steps forward.  To seize these opportunities, to properly face these challenges, to thrive amidst these transitions, and to gain a few steps forward...I must be ready to pick up the pin and pop the bubble...leave my comfort zone.  Leave my illusion of safety.  Let go of my comfort blankets.  And allow God to use the unfamiliarity, awkardness and all those other elements to produce growth and beauty and life...instead of anxiety and worry and strife. 


As I processed this today, I realized something else.  It's not just about comfort and bubbles and being familiar with people or places or things.  It's about trust and us.  If I am totally and fully leaning on and trusting the Lord with each and every moment, I am breathing in and out His life and love.  When that is happening, He will be giving me the confidence, comfort, and grace I need for each moment - in or out of the bubble.  It is when my eyes are taken off of Him and placed on anything or everything around me that the anxiety is created...that the worry starts to build...that I begin to think things might just get too uncomfortable for me.  That I might not be able to or know how to handle what might be coming my way.  And all of the sudden, I've started trusting myself instead of the One who promises me EVERYTHING I need as I follow Him.  I also know that the path He leads me on will rarely park in a comfort zone for any length of time but be a constant weave in and out of challenges, new discoveries, and lessons He wants to teach me.  It will be full of joy...it will be full of life...it will be beautiful...but what I should never count on it to be is comfortable.  Or normal.  Or even sometimes familiar.

Comments

  1. such authenticity. and grace. so glad i'm not the only one who has to pop my bubble of comfort and complacency every 5 minutes! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl