Skip to main content

Rhythms


Maybe because the anniversary of  “the big change”…
            when I slowed my own rhythms down…
            when the rhythm of our family slowed down…
            when we began a dance to a simpler, slower, but just as meaningful melody…

Maybe because the anniversary of that time is slowly approaching or maybe because, since that time I’ve tried to rev up and hit “accelerate” again only to have found myself intrinsically changed and unable to “rev” as I used to…

Or maybe because as we approached this small-ish, one-room, home-reno project this spring break, we approached it as different people and in a different way and I’m only realizing it at the end of spring break with only one of three phases complete?

Or maybe it’s been the freedom-seeking with the ladies on those Thursday evenings slowing all the way down and breathing in His presence together …

Whatever the reason, the rhythm of my life has been beating loudly through my days the last few weeks. 

What has changed?  I am trying to discern exactly that.  My “friend” Brene* helped me today, though. I was leisurely passing through one of her chapters on shame and a little on vulnerability of all things, and I was stopped DEAD in my tracks.  I mean, I stopped and read and re-read the line maybe 23 different times and then four more. 

I performed until there was no energy left to feel.”

I’ll let that one sink in.

Sucker punch to the throat for me.  It was my story.  It had been my story.  But not anymore.  I’ve been meaning to write you about all of these things for some time now.  I’ve been wanting to tell you how life feels now and what it’s done for my heart.  And also the speed bumps and how I’ve driven in reverse only about 1,651 times.  And I can’t tell you why I haven’t written this to you yet…if I wasn’t ready or didn’t have the words or I just didn’t make it a high enough priority.  But I’m not sure that question really matters.  I am here today to tell you about what slowing these rhythms in my heart, home, and healing looks like. 

It looks like this – what could have been a one day, sun-up to midnight, compact, home renovation (we are bringing our 20th century, about 30 foot hallway with 10 foot ceilings into the current century…while maintaining its old world charm, don’t you worry) has lasted three days while only completing phase one of the (what has become) three phase project.  We are closing our spring break with a lot still to do but a bunch more memories than if we’d cracked down and just gotten it all done…although the cracking down would have made for one impressive insta-story. In fact, if you’ve been watching mine, you probably were confused.  Six hours later, they hung another light? WOW, what progress.  Right. But sorry to disappoint the insta-world, I am in awe but in a totally different way.  The story reads just right.  Except this was never me.  I was always (still kinda am, just fight it now) the push-harder, don’t-stop, won’t-stop, completer of all of the things.  I kept our family in that funnel with me always.  We would have woken early and stayed up as late as was necessary to complete all the things, too.  But in the last three days?  We’ve jumped on the trampoline twice, taken two family walks, sat down together for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, had a daily rest time (when I was able to read the aforementioned chapter), played princesses and dress up, had at least one sleep-in-and-snuggle-as-a-family morning, and spent the afternoon/evening today with sweet friends doing life together…so many not-painting-and-renovating things.  I am not tooting a horn, y’all, because I am causing my last year self a mild panic attack.  I’m simply telling you how impossible this was for a me a year ago. 

A year ago, I had to keep on going so I didn’t start all the feelings.  I couldn’t stop for many of those things for very long.  I thrived in the dawn to dusk frenzy.  I imposed it on those around me, especially my heartbeats, my family.  I was fully available to all and fully present to few or none.

Now.  Before I paint a picture of present posies, I haven’t told you the time I’ve wasted just this weekend on Zulily or Facebook, the mindless activity we’ve all taken in, or the feelings I’ve eaten…I’m so far from a rhythm of perfection and thankful instead for a rhythm of grace.

But the beauty is in the CHANGE.  Not so much that it will take us a month perhaps to complete a project that we could have squeezed out of ourselves in a few short days, but because of where we’ve been and where we are. 

I didn’t know my “big change” or “big decision” a little under a year ago was leading me HERE.  In fact, I figured He was leading me to my next circus ring (speaking only of the rhythm, not the job)…but in all of His infinite grace and mercy, He grabbed me in that first week by the hand and ran me in a totally different direction I couldn’t and wouldn’t have chosen for myself.  I thought the wilderness was for waiting, but it turns out it has been about the manna.  His infinite provisions.  Our days are slower but our hearts are fuller.  I breathe deeply now and feel deeply in connection with those closest to me.  People still kind of cock their head slightly when I tell them what I’m “doing” now and the hodgepodge that is my new normal, my life…because it wasn’t the next step up the ladder and it didn’t build the next logical picket onto the fence. And we love it when we can keep one another in the nice, neat little boxes that make sense.  But guys, I am serious.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  It’s like I didn’t even realize all the oxygen I was not breathing until my lungs filled up with air, sending life into parts of me that had been dormant and raw.  And like I said, it’s not all posies.  Life casts light into dark corners, it brings alive feelings we’ve stuffed down, it demands we see the mess we may have hidden.  It’s a process, a journey, but He is making a way every day. 

I keep changing my radio back to the country station.  I’ll go to KLOVE or itunes for a week or so, but I keep getting drawn back to the slow drawl and the windy roads…the auro of rolling the windows down and cruising down a country road appreciating and enjoying all of the beauty in this life.  I know we won’t all agree that these elements are all present in this particular genre, but God can use anything to draw us into His rhythm, into His space, into His presence.  And when I turn on the country, I slow down just a bit. 

A speaker in my Thursday night MOPS group curriculum told of the gentleman who chose to slow his life down intentionally.  He went from literally speeding everywhere he went to deliberately choosing to drive at or under the speed limit every day (this would be huge progress for me)…choosing the longest line at the grocery store. Where there was the opportunity for slow, he embraced it.  What He found was rich and full and life-giving.  I’m about to go into one of the busiest weeks and seasons I’ve had since maybe “the big change,” with five consecutive, completely full days and additional commitments to my plate. But my approach is different now.  I’m showing up fully, present, and free.  And at the end, there will be rest.  And in the middle, there will be rest. 

We can get to so many places in the fast lane, but I’m afraid we just might miss the journey.



*Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown, quote referenced from page 55

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi