Skip to main content

Unsent Good-Bye Letter

I thank God and will continue to thank Him every day that I had the privilege to know and work with you.  There are so many reasons for this that come to mind.  The first is that I was able to witness God (not me...not you) do miraculous things.  The second is that I was able to know someone with your heart and your story.  And last, I learned a lot from working with you.  That's usually how it works; you start off helping someone else and end up learning a few lessons for yourself.  Here is what I learned from you:

1-Sometimes those that need love the most will not ask for it and will sometimes actually ask for the opposite...to be left alone, unloved.  Because left unloved, they are left unchanged and unchallenged.  But when you love anyway, their broken hearts begin to trust.
A terribly rough life has put him in a place where it is almost impossible to believe even the most genuine person could really care.  And if they do, there is an end to the amount they can care and there is something that will make them stop.  And there is so much that he can share that will certainly make them run in the other direction, so he is certain he is safe to stay alone and unloved.  In the middle of his anger and depression but safe nonetheless from more hurt.  He'll ask throughout a vulnerable conversation if he can go and if you aren't careful with how you respond, you will believe that is what he really wants.  But its a test, and when you say, "are you done talking or are you worried about my time?" He isn't done talking and will open another layer to see if that is okay, too.  And when it doesn't shock you and you don't act surprised, he has more to say and more to tell, because really this is what safety looks like.  This is really how it feels, and he's been missing out.  And somehow the story is coming out and his heart that has been hardened through several cold winters has begun to melt, and now he is in a different kind of fire.  And he's on the brink of something incredible, some kind of change.

2-It is true what they say.  We accept the love we believe we deserve.  If we don't think we're worthy of love, we do not understand it.  In actuality, none of us are worthy.  Part of life is just learning to accept.
It bothers him that I don't fit into the box that he's neatly putting everyone else into for one reason or another because I'm trying not to let him, because God is doing too much in his heart to leave it alone.  And so I don't let him put me in the box of people who really don't care or think he's a bad kid.  But he tries to cram me in the box every time I talk to him.  Except these few moments when he hears me say something and he can tell its for real, and he smiles or produces a tear and says, "Really?" and I'm happy because I know another wall came down.  And he's learning to accept, because none of us are worthy.  And then he asks me why I care and I have so many answers I'm not sure I choose the right one, but I use the next few weeks to prove my true answer: because God loves him infinitely more than he can understand and His spirit is working in him to bring him to a place to understand that...and I so badly want that for him.

3-Five negative words spoken with impulsivity can overshadow thousands of positive words shared in love, so choose your words carefully and wisely everyday.
Most of the times I have been granted the opportunity to talk with him at moments of vulnerability in hopes to produce hope and change, I have determined to fully surrender to the Lord my tongue, my time, and my energy so that He is invited to work through me rather than my futile human efforts.  This is because most of the time I am operating in reality that reminds me I am fully insufficient to know how to handle what is laid before me.  On this day, somehow for just a moment I stepped oustide the lines of trusting God and into some fake self-sufficiency and said something, really only half of something seemingly insignificant, but it hurt him, and I know it was from the broken, human part of me and not the God-led, surrendered part of me.  And in that moment, I broke.  Because I saw the pain that my brokenness brought to his heart, and I knew that there would be little I could do to repair it.  And though thousands and thousands of good words had been poured into Him from the heart of God, in this moment he is only hearing these 5 human words and they are tearing away everything else.  And so I pray that it is true that the work of the Lord is sustained and that our human fraility gets burned away in the fire.  Because otherwise, it is too much to bear and to think about what I have done. 

4-It is incredibly terrifying to be on the brink of life-changing transformation and decision.  And sometimes, it is so scary, we freeze or run away.
We figure out through some things he's saying, some repeated dreams he's having, and some really out there statements he is making that he's terrified to do what he so wants to do: lean into the change and embrace a new life.  He has this underlying fear that if he steps out in faith and confidence that the support he has now from those he's learned slowly to trust will disintegrate at the smallest sign of failure and he'll be left alone and undone.  He's terrified that its the only thing he can do except stand still but he doesn't think he has what it takes.  And so his days are like rollercoasters...trying out the two sides of the fence, trying and giving up.  And my biggest fear is that he won't hear or see the truth and he'll let go and give up all the way.  But there is something inside of him not giving up on him and I know it is the spirit of the Lord.  And thankfully, He is more trustworthy than anything else.

5-Sometimes all someone needs is someone who will take the time and listen.
What a lot of people see when they meet him is the disrespect or bigger than life behavior.  But what he's willing to tell you if you'll listen is his attitude is deteriorating but he doesn't like it and feels out of control to change it.  And he's helpless but wanting help.  He's feeling hopeless but asking for hope.  And that is what makes all the difference in the world.  Someone observing his behavior alone tells him he hasn't done a single thing during his treatment, in fact, he's probably gotten worse.  But someone listening to his cry for help sees the biggest change that can take place in the human body: a change of heart.  And there is only One you can praise for that. 

6-A Refiner's Fire is the toughest but most privileged place to be.
He's asked me why God is testing him.  He's even gone so far as to wonder if He's abandoned him or if he was wrong all this time about His existence.  He says he just wants a blessing and relieved of all this pain.  And so I ask him if he understands how gold and precious metals are made.  And we talk about them melting in a fire.  And he knows all too quickly that he is in the fire like Job but that can only mean one thing: God has this huge, remarkable plan and he's a part of it.  And there's more than safety in that.  There is peace that cannot be understood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl