Skip to main content

POW WOW

This last week was our monthly "Super" Shift which just consists of a regular week-long shift matched with a weekend shift that is normally worked by our Alternate Family Teacher.  Since Michael's birthday is today, we decided to celebrate it and the end of our super shift this weekend by escaping to Monroe, LA.  We ate good seafood, lounged around, went shopping, and did some exploring (and of course, picked up a few things for the girls and house that you can only get in a town larger than Monticello).  Here are some HIGHlights and LOWlights from our Super Shift as well as some PRAYERpleas(e) for this upcoming week!

Some Highlights:
-It was fair week in Monticello this week!  Vera Lloyd entered the Fair Parade for the first time ever with a wonderful float, which Michael actually volunteered a lot of his time this week putting together and working on with the other male family teachers on campus. I put a picture of the float minus all the kiddos on my Facebook page this week.  Because of how much fun and successful it was, we plan to work on a Christmas float next!  We are currently trying to reconstruct some of the community's historic negative perceptions of Vera Lloyd (the place with troubled, "bad" kids - which I still don't get why even if it was completely true that is a reason to judge or discriminate...troubled or "bad" kids need love and shelter and hope, too), and becoming more involved in the community is Step 1.  We also went to the fair one night, but it was only a "fair" fair experience.  We were given free wristbands for the whole house, so we were excited, but a thunderstorm rolled as well as some intense attitudes, and we were just glad when the whole thing was over.  Not to mention the interesting aspects of a small-town county fair.  Whew.
-Okay, are you ready to be SHOCKED?  If you know me, you will be.  I was forced to compete in a cook-off during our in-service staff meeting this last week where each house was asked to prepare an Italian dish for the rest of the staff's lunch.  There were 6 judges who judged the dishes anonymously and the winning house was given a $50 gift card to use for a party night for the house.  I prepared my Thin-Crust Chicken Pesto Pizza (including black olives, artichokes, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzerella, and parmasan cheese) and my Thin-Crust Chicken Alfredo Pizza (chicken, bacon, alfredo, and diced tomatoes) and figured my originality was my only hope of winning.  But BARTON WON!  I was amazed!  And I am excited to use our gift card for something fun sometime soon!  We also were shocked when Barton won the GOLDEN BROOM (cleanest house on campus) the same day.  We looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders, and laughed. 
-We had a little "light" brought to our life the last few weeks in the package of a sweet 6-yr-old girl.  She will be returning home this week as everything has been worked out for her (Hallelujah!), but she was a blessing to have had with us while she was here.  She was our first girl to have who was brand new to the system, so it was heart-breaking to work with her and her family as they learned the difficult ropes.  We are very excited for her, but we will miss her very much!
-I found some time to begin some of the organizational projects that have piled up since we started, so I tackled our house's clothing donation closet.  After one school day, I had emptied the closet of all clothing that was stained, smelled, had holes, torn, or too out of style for anyone to wear (typically, if I wouldn't wear it, I figure these teenage girls wouldn't want to either).  I filled a large box with that stuff.  Then, I used all my experience from Target and organzied the heck out of the clothes we had left.  Now, the girls can go look by size for a shirt, pair of pants, or shoes when they need some.  Our long-term girls have typically already taken they want from the closet.  Now, it is used for girls who come in with only a few outfits or the clothes they are wearing.  When we recieve new donations, all of the girls like to look through them.  So, by the way, now that I'm all organized --- if you have any girls' clothing (1st grade - 12th grade) that is in good condition, feel free to send it our way.  What we can't use, we can share with the girls' house next door.  As winter approaches, jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters, and jackets would be the most helpful.
-This next week, the Vera Lloyd Board that meets several times throughout the year meets on campus (instead of Little Rock where our corporate headquarters are) for their annual visit.  This has required a lot of time and attention from Michael and I getting the house ready and prepared.  I'll have to post pictures later of the cute fall decorations I got for the front porch.  I have actually had some fun with this.  We will host 6 of the board members in our home for dinner on Tuesday night, which will be fun, exciting, and maybe a little stressful. 
-Some of the ladies from our sponsor church in Little Rock visited last week and set up a "Reading Nook" in a small cubby room we have that was virtually empty and unused.  It's awesome and the girls have already really enjoyed it.  They bought a cute rug, comfy chairs, lamps, and big floor pillows.  What a blessing!  The girls felt very loved.  Now we're on to Thank You cards!!!


Some Lowlights:
-As mentioned in my other post, we did struggle immensely at the end of last week with one of our long-term girls.  Thankfully, the Lord has opened our eyes to the layers and layers and layers that exist over her heart so that we can continue to love and not close down our hearts toward her.  In other words, He has shown us how to love.  I am anticipating more difficulty with her this week, as well, but we trust in the One who knows the path to healing.
-Sometimes, I miss home.  I miss not being at the football games or there to see my little brother go to Homecoming...or celebrate Michael's birthday with more than just me... But God has also encouraged us with opportunities to deepen our relationships with the other couples on campus and we realize more everyday how blessed we are to work with these people and how much support we have from afar and close by. 

Prayer Pleas(e):
-Please pray for our little one going home this week and a new one arriving tomorrow.
-Please pray for stamina, wisdom, patience, and strength in dealing with our one that is being particularly difficult right now.
-Please pray that we will not miss an opportunity to learn or grow or be who He wants us to be due to insecurity, pride, or anxiety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl