Skip to main content

confident in the call

We had a new family teaching / houseparenting couple interviewing on campus this last week and I have been mulling over one of their questions since I left the meeting.  "What is the most important contributor to success and longevity as a family teacher here?"  Essentially, what is the most crucial element to thriving for the long haul in this role in this place?  Everyone was quick to provide extremely helpful tips that have helped me acclimate and survive my first year as a houseparent at Vera Lloyd, but I found myself going back to the same seemingly cliche answer over and over again in my mind:

CONFIDENCE IN THE CALL OF THE LORD

Because when I am confident in the call I recieved from the Lord to be here with His hands and feet attached to my own limbs, then a bad day or extemrely difficult moment within that ministry becomes a part of the sanctifying story God is writing in me rather than another contributing factor to a resignation letter I could be writing.  When I am confident that God is calling me daily here to this work, then I remember He is the source for my strength when my energy is depleted, for my joy when my own happiness has been set aside, for my hope when my vision is blurred.  When I know what I am doing is what God has distinctly orchestrated for me to be doing in this moment in this place, I do not doubt Him, I doubt myself less, and I look to tomorrow as the new opportunity that it is.  And so I must remember...and to remember I must remain connected to the vine that is my Life.

I got lost in a world of reflection and sentimentality for several hours this weekend and looked back through a number of my posts at the beginning of this blog and found that it was actually rejuvenating to my soul and work.  It refueled me in many ways, because I was in a sense traveling back to the source of our call process here and remembering the day we knew without a shadow of a doubt and laid it all on the line.  That kind of confidence can fade over time through the ebbs and flows of life and with the fading can come subtle changes to our perspective and attitude.  When the calling is no longer new and fresh, it is easy to adopt a "get through it" attitude which can rob my joy in a second.  So I am thankful for the refreshing drink of perspective from the reminscent journey I spontaneously took on Friday night, as well as the indirect reminder through the new couple's question of the rock we have built this house on rather than all the daily, trivial sand. 

I believe many, many good people in this world who have a beneveloent nature, compassionate spirit, and unique skill set could come in and be rockstar houseparents...for a time.  In fact, they would probably run Barton better than we do and could connect more easily with some of our girls.  But I would not do it myself.  Not unless I felt confidently that I was a small extension from a greater sense of power.  Because, without a connection to the vine that is our Life and the confidence that we were divinely led and placed here, our impact would be short-lived (we would be long gone) and more shallow.  Because of my relationship with the Lord, my role here is not a job that I will leave when it no longer yields visible results or fulfillment.  It is a call that I will continue to fulfill until His leading guides me elsewhere.  Because of my relationships with the Lord, the work I do here is given multiple dimensions as not only the body and mind are the focus of our treatment plan but the soul, as well. 

And thus I find the basis for the fact that I have not only survived but done some thriving in this last year as well as returned to work every single Sunday night SOLEY to the calling God impressed so heavily on my heart and the confidence He gave me there within.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl