Skip to main content

Collection for "Home"

[Preface: I do not share this for the reasons that may seem obvious and predictable - some self-seeking need to be loved in return or find significance in the past.  I wrote this as simply an outlet on my iPhone while I rode in the car as the melody to a particular song pricked my heart.  But then I decided I wanted to share it.  Simply because it is truth and we very rarely choose to just share the darn honest truth with one another.  We don't always feel it necessary to let one another know how we feel. However, I know many of you read this blog to hear about our new life and what God has done and is doing.  I feel it would be a disservice to share all of the wonderment without the reality of the difficulty that often accompanies a calling and the hardship in leaving your homeland simply in faith.  Not that it is not so completely the right thing to do exactly whatever it is God calls you to, but as your journey on the road marked out for you, please never hear from Betsy that it was ever meant to be easy or that you don't want to turn around sometimes...or just stop where you are and not move a muscle...or that sometimes the path is clear to the eye but branches or debris may still be there and you will still have to deal with it.  Nothing about God's will means ease or comfort or perfection.  It means instead peace and empowerment and the glory of the Father.  It is you who must choose what is more important to you.  And me, for me.  I want to echo Joshua concerning me and my house.  I want to serve the Lord.  So there may be tears then.  And heartache.  And wonderful things left behind...]

What I have realized with more clarity since I left Salina in a fury of excitement and mixed emotions is the extreme joy and blessing I lived amidst with all of you (specifically, FCC and even more specifically, FCYM).  You each provided such deep joy in my life.  I took (and still take) joy in your accomplishments, your healing, your positive choices, your life turn-arounds.  I took (and take as I remember today) joy in the beauty of creativity and unique wonder with which God created each of you.  And whenever I said I love you and I would miss you, I had no idea how much I would mean it.  Because I don't think it's that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  No, absence helps us to appreciate in its fullness all we have lost...or walked away from.  Not that I regret walking away...because it is exactly what I was supposed to do, and I still have joy.  Just a different kind of joy.  It's different, and sometimes that is hard.  I miss you all.  I miss the genuine smile that flew to my face when you each walked in the door every Wednesday night or Sunday morning...and in the door of my house every Friday and Saturday night.  I miss your personalities, your quirks, your jokes, the little every day things about life with you.  Because Facebook creeping just doesn't give those things.  It doesn't bring you to life in front of me.  And it doesn't allow me to do life with you and for so long...that was my life, that is what I did.  Now, I do something else.  I do life with others, and I love it and find joy when it brings glory to God.  But, I still miss everything about each one of you.

***

Thank you for loving me so fully and unconditionally, Salina.  Thank you for so graciously letting me literally grow up in your presence.  Thank you for providing so many safe places and so many blessings that I cannot count them.  Thank you for being a place I want to and am proud to call "home." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi