Skip to main content

She Gave it All

Written on March 23, 2013, shared today in loving memory of Nancy Bryan, Sr., my sweet Mamaw who joined her Savior and husband in Heaven today:

From the outside and all appearances, she is an ordinary, Southern Belle turned grandmother. She is my father's mother, spends too much money on her grandchildren, and cried the day I told her I was engaged to marry my high school sweetheart. She is devoted to her church and family, and she, along with her late husband, my grandfather, has gone to great lengths to be at every crucial life event of every grandchild that is physically possible. Still, my understanding was that we lived a normal life in an ordinary family with a grandmother that loved us. My eyes started opening to her influence on my life as I started growing up and realized her example and encouragement of my faith was a huge source of fuel for me. However, I still had no idea...until she lost my grandfather, we moved closer so that weekend visits became more common, and we started having late night chats about her life, her thoughts, her perceived failures, and humble triumphs. And I had no idea. First of all, my egocentric mind had very little considered her out of the grandmother framework she came packaged to me within. I had spent little time considering what daily life looked like building a family of great faith, high morals, and fantastic love. I never even thought about the building blocks to build the marriage that had been an example and model for me all my life. And then, as the pages of her life story flew backward and she thoughtfully shared her sweet story over several different weekends together, I began to realize the amount of faith, the amount of love, the amount of commitment, and the amount of gracious wisdom it took to be the matriarch of the blessed family I have so taken for granted for so many years. She saw her family as the foreground of a life of ministry and as she sealed a letter and ended a phone call, I realized she still does. This is the woman that has prayed for me every day of my life. The woman whose most important social engagement while I was growing up was her Grandmother's-In-Touch prayer group. And as I have grown up, I have realized the power of other's prayers over my life; it has become something I have retrospectively treasured. And here sitting before me was the greatest prayer warrior I ever had. My beautiful Southern Belle turned grandmother has lived far from an ordinary life. She has given it all to her family, one that is now flourishing with life, faith, and love.

I love you more than words can say, Mamaw, and you look just beautiful today :).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl