Skip to main content

Empire State of Mind

There’s been a failure narrative running in the background of my life for a long time now; it is one that I have allowed, fed, and unknowingly fallen prey to time and again.
 
There was this time in 7th grade at a new school one hundred times bigger than my last, where I tripped over my insanely dorky shoes and fell on my face immediately upon entrance to the stadium-sized lunch room.  Talk about an audience...and entrance.  And yes, if you know me, I suppose I have made a habit of tripping at inopportune times; I believe my lack of coordination also clearly defines my life. 

Needless to say, falling on my face in front of crowds is not fun.  Not only is not fun, it has become something I seriously avoid.  Even if it means I hesitate a little too long before stepping or I run in the other direction.  But what I am starting to learn is that not every failure is worn on your face … because I am just not as powerful or in control as I imagine myself to be, as much as I want to be sometimes.  Failure, after all, is what they have always said – a part of life.

One of my favorite therapeutic themes I loved to reinforce while working with at-risk youth was learning to recover from failure, rather than impressing on their hearts an expectation of making failure obselete.  I guess I was trying to teach it to myself, too.  How to get up off the floor, plaid lunchbox in hand, dust off those pleated khaki pants, hold your head up, and get in that lunch line like you have a right to eat some lunch.  Because you do.  And no failure defines you.  I would say, “That we fail is not the worst thing…or the end of the world; it is inevitable.  What is the most important thing is that from the failure, we learn and we grow and we change.”  There may have been some kids who listened, but my heart was not ready to yet.

Today, I am more than six months into the tearing down of an empire I had built of my life and with myself, and I am hearing the message now loud and clear.  I am seeing the fear now.  I can still hear the voices but can now identify the lies.  And I am watching myself, as if in a theater chair at the AMC, shrink back and run away from potential failure. I’m aware.  And I watch: Procrastinate. Wait.  Hold off.  Let me just hold onto my little control group over here forever and forget about the risking, the running, the adventuring I once knew. Because, finally, I feel safe.

But nothing can be sustained in this world without growth and there is no true growth without risk.  There is no forward without movement.  And it has been okay to be still and to stay and to listen because I needed to know all of this, I needed to know myself again, I needed to be able to hear and discern God’s voice again.  I needed to remember the 7th grade girl in the lunchroom because somewhere inside me, she still exists, and sometimes, I think, she is granted too much input on my decisions. 

I was never an athlete, but I played on several teams.  I was always so relieved when I didn’t have to go into the game.  So I could miss a shot. Or when I didn’t get put in an event, so I wouldn’t have to come in second to last.  You can make your bed anywhere, and so often, I made mine where it was safest. 

There have been a few times in my life, though, that I have stuck my neck out far and wide.  Times I’ve been brave.  Some things I believed in so much that all the failure didn’t matter.  And there have been some safe places in my life, where I felt safer to boldly take steps in the direction I felt called.  But though I boldly risked and stepped out, I never detached my own sense of worth or identity or wholeness from my ability to avoid the failure and make it succeed.  And so when things I’ve invested in, even partly or wholly out of my control, have tanked…gone under…found failure lurking – I internalize it all.  Well, I try to swallow the bitter taste of failure, but it’s like the bite is too big for my mouth. 

How much pride does it take to get here?  I’m so ashamed.  That I ever could think that alone I could bring something meaningful to fruition or failure.  A perfect self-sufficiency.  A perfectionistic striving.  A gold bar of expectation.  That point in time, when I bought into these lies, they consumed me and they wrapped their spiny tenacles around me tightly.  They owned me. 

And so I’ve been doing really tangible things lately.  Where I can do a and b and produce c easily and almost with predictability.  A new world from anything I’ve done before.  And it’s been healing me in its own way.  But I’ve already learned and seen that even in the tangible, the predictable, the controllable, God will have His way.  He will give His blessing when and as He wills.  And all over again, it is just about trust and Him and not us, our abilities, or our smarts.  It can never be about us.

And He’s brought me now to this crossroads.  To leap or not to leap.  And to make it to the other side, I would need His provision, His power, His strength, His grace, His wisdom, and His protection.  And so all at once my faith and fear are in the hot seat.  My faith.  Do I trust that He can be all that for me and take care of me when I may have to risk it all?  My fear.  What are you willing to allow the fear of failure to rob you of this time?

Many would say I’ve been here before, but I don’t agree.  With every step in our journey and in every season, our eyes and hearts are opened up more and more to our reality.  We think we live in reality; we really exist within our perception.  And so several steps back, when I leapt in faith, trusting God to take care of me with no knowledge of the future?  It was faith in obedience.  But I had not yet become acquainted with how my fears and failures were driving my heart.  I did not know how they’d chipped away at me for years, how they’d worn me inside out.  I had not identified this big gaping hole of healing I was needing, that He was literally carrying me to like the man on the sand leaving footprints behind, and that I never would have seen without being obedient right then and there. 

Last week, I took a photo of my sister in front of the ginormous gate of the Yankees Stadium in the Bronx.  She was tiny before it, as she stood gazing up at it in awe.  She wasn’t there to conquer the stadium, to prove to the world she was a Yankee, to climb it’s heights for a trophy.  She was there to see it, enjoy it, worship it (okay, just let me, because it works), and ultimately let the Yankees do their thang. 

I’ve gotten off the subway, I’m walking up the stairs.  The first thing you can see at the Yankee Stadium metro stop is the heights and depths of the stadium.  I’m small, always so very small in New York City.  And I am looking at this massive thing before me. And I’m seeing it differently for the first time.  I want to stay small in light of His big.  I love how small I feel in New York…everything else so big around me…making me anonymous, pressing me into obscurity.  I want to stay anonymous in His name. 

And He’s brought me here, before this huge stadium – something I wouldn’t be able to force success with…I’d have to rely on His provision and His blessing – something I am not fully equipped for, something out of my own comfortable areas of expertise, something that could easily fail but God… I am standing here and I want to do with God what my sister did with her Yankees – see Him, enjoy Him, worship Him and ultimately let HIM do HIS thang. 

Because I am done pushing, pressing, climbing, running – thinking if I push hard enough, press in enough, climb high enough, run hard enough I can keep the failure away.  I am done hoping I don’t have to get in the game to avoid the missed shot…I’m ready to worship with all I’ve got – letting His hand guide mine in His time and His goodness and His power.  And leaving the outcome to Him.  I’m done controlling every single thing.  I’m done worrying about outcomes like my worth depends on it.  I’m here, breathing fully in this air and filling my lungs with life.  I am present, I am trusting, I am not what I do.  I am not what I have done.  I am not the outcome.  I am His. 

My daughter has been singing a song she made up lately – “You can be, you can be, more than one thing!”  I believe the song was constructed to reassure her that she can in fact be a dancer and princess and horse owner someday.  I told her this morning, “I am more than one thing, and so are you,” and I started listing, “I am a wife, mommy, daughter, friend, sister…” and I landed at, “Child of God.”  Child of God.  I’m resting there right now, and I know I’m safe in His arms.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery to Wait

" I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be courageous and let your heart be strong.   Wait for the Lord .” –Psalm 27:13-14 I hadn't noticed until now that brave and strong is part of waiting. Because running and explaining and indulging and figuring out is so much a part of our world. I forgot that wait is a verb, not a space-filler, not a time-waster. In the waiting, we are learning our hope.   In the waiting, we become His; we come alive. In the waiting, we build the pages upon which He will write the story. In the waiting, the story has already begun.   Right now, my waiting is the story.   How silly for me to think that brave and strong was only for empire-building and battle-fighting. I’ve been having strong moments and really weak ones.   Because even though I’ve set up my circumstances for rest and family and connection right now, wherever I go, I can still find the drugs of efficien

Twenty Ways to Love a Foster Family Well

The tears slid down my cheek as I typed out the email just a few short weeks ago that would officially close our home and end our season as foster parents.  We may have another season before we hit the nursing home, but after a lot of prayer and confirmation....we know this season right now? It is about the family God has formed inside our home.  We will be focusing on meeting the needs of each of the amazing forever children we have the privilege of parenting. We will also do all we can to provide intentional support to those fostering around us.  ( Hint: If you are local and maybe "not having enough support and/or respite" has kept you from fostering, holla at ya girl! ) I wanted to mark this moment in some way, which is why I am here.  I want to share with YOU all of the amazing ways people - our family, our friends, our community, our church, our village...so many of you - made this season possible for us. I want to highlight all the ways God showed up for us in His peopl

A Destination

Michael and I are very excited to share that we have accepted a job together as Family Teachers at Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Home and Family Services in Monticello, Arkansas!  You can visit Vera Lloyd's website here and get a tiny glimpse of the awesome ministry that exists on its campus.  We were able to visit the campus last Thursday and Friday and have been spending time in prayer individually and as a couple until last night when we came to the place where we both knew this truly is where God has been leading us the whole time.  There are so many questions to answer, so I thought I would format this post in a question/answer format.  Feel free to leave any unanswered questions as a comment!  And as always, take or leave the details! Q: Where is Monticello and how big is the town? A: Monticello is 1.5 hours South of Little Rock and 1.5 hours North of Louisiana.  It is a small college town (University of Arkansas @Monticello) of about 10,000 people situated in the beautiful, hi